Temporary Protection Materials Contribution of Construction Site Safety
The progression of Health & Safety practices in recent years has seen a huge reduction in the number of accidents and mortalities on construction sites. Through increased awareness and improved working practices, the standard of health and safety has improved across most aspects of construction work in areas such as personnel, PPE, tools and equipment.
Protec supplies a wide range of temporary protection materials to improve safety to staff and members of the public. The following products are the main ones used to prevent injuries on construction sites:
1) Anti-Slip Ground Protection - We all know areas around construction sites quickly become muddy and slippery from either foot traffic or vehicles. Protec supplies Tracktile, an anti slip ground protector which prevents slips, trips and falls around muddy and slippery areas on construction sites.
2) Trip Prevention inside construction sites – There is often lots of staff and lots of movement on construction sites. Hardboard flooring can be used, but it can be dangerous as it does not prevent trips if it gets wet and muddy. Protec supplies TK200 and Carpetshield FR which have an embossed anti slip surface to prevent tripping up either on corners or mud. What is more, Protec’s Rigid Treads and Anti Slip Tape can be used for extra slip resistance.
3) Hazard Awareness – Barrier Tape, Hazard Tape and Zip Wall Caution Reel are high visibility so they can be used to raise awareness danger or partition off hazardous areas to either staff or members of the public. What is more, products such as the Hi Vis Proscaff Protector not only cushion impact of someone accidentally walking into a scaffold pole but also raise awareness as they are Hi Visibility yellow.
4) FallsPrevention – In the context of temporary protection, Protec are extremely proud of the Zipwall system that we supply. In conventional screening applications ladders and scaffolds may be required to erect screens thus contributing to the risk of falls however the Zipwall screening system is erected from the ground with no need for work at height at all. Furthermore Zipwalls contribution to dust containment provides a healthier working environment for those outside of the screened area.
5) Fire Prevention - Protec supplies Flame Retardant Construction Site Protection. Many of Protec’s temporary protection materials are flame retardant and comply to the Joint Code of Practice’s Loss Prevention Certification LPS1202. LPS1207 is the Flame Retardant standard for temporary protection materials and was developed by insurers and other interested stakeholders in the construction industry to remove potentially hazardous non flame retardant protection for both health and safety and financial reasons. LPS1207 certificated products are tested to ensure that in addition to being flame retardant they self extinguish, do not emit toxic smoke, do not produce flaming droplets and most importantly do not spread fire. Non flame retardant products on the other hand could be quite the opposite and may contribute to the spread of fire in addition to producing harmful fumes. All of the Flame Retardant products at Protec are printed with the relevant LPCB certification details and are backed up by a copy of the certificate if required. The use of Flame Retardant protection materials has increased in recent years through specification by clients and insurers alike which is beneficial on both health and safety grounds and also in terms of insurance and reputation of your company.
Please Be Aware: It is unfortunate that whilst many companies are using legitimate certificated protection materials from Protec that there are less scrupulous protection companies that supply non flame retardant protection under the guise of “Tested to LPS1207” which is not actually a certificated product. If you are in doubt about the Flame Retardant protection that you’re using or looking to use you should always ask for a copy of the LPS1207 certificate which should be unique to the product.
If you would like more information about how the use of temporary protection materials can improve your construction site saftey, please contact Protec on 0800 834 704 or tweet @Protec_uk.