Hardboard Sheets Versus Proplex
Hardboard is a high-density engineered wood material traditionally popular for temporary protection in the construction industry and is also popular with trades. Hardboard was initially viewed as an alternative to plywood as it had the benefit of being more cost effective. There is no denying that hardboard is a cheap way to cover floors. However, there is a better floor protection alternative to both hardboard and plywood…
As far back as 1993 when Protec was founded, customers were contacting us as they were fed up with using hardboard sheets to protect flooring; they found hardboard sheets were heavy, difficult to cut and would warp before the end of the project.
Protec sought to provide customers with a lightweight, easy to cut alternative to hardboard which would not warp, even when the product was used on large scale commercial projects.
Proplex is now one of Protec’s best-selling products. Proplex is a heavy duty corrugated plastic sheet manufactured from polypropylene. Protec has now provided millions of meters squared of Proplex to the construction, trades and domestic markets.
Why are Proplex Protection Sheets and Rolls so popular? The main benefits of using Proplex as your Temporary Floor Protection:
1) Quick to Apply: Proplex floor protection sheets are extremely lightweight which means that Proplex is easy to apply, move around and remove after you have finished. It also means that Proplex is easier to transport and store both before and after usage.
2) Cost effective: On Protec’s online site, Proplex 2mm plastic sheets cost from £1.20 per metre squared which is better value per squared metre than Wickes General Purpose Hardboard. However, for the best temporary construction rates create your very own corporate / trade account.
3) Reusable and Recyclable: With procurement in the construction industry becoming increasingly more focused on sustainability, the Proplex range can assist you with reducing your projects environmental impact and help you to achieve BREEAM targets.
4) Flame Retardant: The introduction of the Joint Code of Practice on the protection from fire on construction sites states that failure to use flame retardant temporary protection materials on contracts exceeding the value of £2.5 million may lead to uninsured losses. Unlike hardboard and other timber board products, Proplex is fully certified to the Loss Prevention Standard, LPS 1207, the logo can be found printed on our Proplex Sheets shown here.
5) Waterproof Floor Protection: Proplex sheets, unlike Hardboard sheets, can be used outdoors as it is completely waterproof. Proplex will also prevent indoor flooring from becoming damaged if there is a leak.
Proplex is available in a range of grades, from 2m to 5mm extra heavy duty sheets. Proplex is also available in both black and white. The black Proplex sheets are manufactured using high grade recycled polypropylene.
Still not convinced that you would ever stop using hardboard sheets for your building and construction projects? Why not call us to request a sample of Proplex. Or, if you have used Proplex before, why not leave us a review on our Proplex product pages.
If you are convinced you will start using Proplex sheets, why not help us spread the word about the amazing benefits of using Proplex instead of hardboard sheets by sharing this article with your colleagues.